Monday 21 November 2011

Katherine's emotional roller coaster - Part 4

The Long Wait...

I can't quite remember what day I received the phone call but having a missed call on my phone from the breast clinic was a scary thing. I phoned them back feeling quite shaky. Fortunately (or not) it was just a call to say there had been such a large number of samples to be tested and there was going to be a delay as to when my results were through. It would be another week.

A few thoughts went through my head, I'm not going to have to face an interview with the thought I'd be picking my results up afterwards (the Blackpool interview). I wouldn't have to face an interview knowing my results (the Lancaster one). But also, that I couldn't make the next result appointment because I was going on my long awaited and deserved holiday with my daughter on Thursday. I'd already had to delay my holiday because of the Lancaster interview, I wasn't going to be able to delay it again. "Oh for f**ks sake" I thought, the frustration was so overpowering. I explained to the lady on the phone that I would be away and so the results appointment was made for when I returned. They couldn't relay the results over the phone so I had to wait. 30th August!! Oh well, at least I was going to be away in Scotland spending time with my daughter, Rachel & gorgeous Godson Archie. Then later my Dad and Pam were coming up too :)

It was during this time that Rachel was developing the concept of what is now known as Rally2Raise. Plans were being formulated and contacts being made, it was a great way of gaining perspective in my life and having, along with my holiday, another focus. Plus of course I knew I'd got the job as an ODP at Blackpool Victoria Hospital! Wahooooooooooo!

On my hols now, the days passed by and I can honestly say I hardly thought about the results. Quite a contrast to the days previously when sleep was sparse and thoughts were frantic and extremely depressive. The holiday was undeniably the best medicine in coping with things.

30th August came and off I went with Dad to meet Caroline the Macmillan Breast care nurse at the breast clinic for my results. She was lovely, the result showed it as normal breast tissue (??), no malignancy. A huge relief for my Dad, and although, yes it was for me too, I still wanted to know what it was and questioned in my head whether they actually got the sample they needed. Seeing as how the lump was so small they might have missed it?

They wanted to monitor the lump and so I had another appointment made for four weeks time. They had to allow time for all the bruising and swelling to go before they could scan it again. They were looking for any growth or change in the lump. I just wanted it out......

No comments:

Post a Comment